Friday, July 11, 2014
Spent most of the first half of the day trying to co-ordinate the vote on our t-shirt design. Between tracking who had and hadn't voted, and additional designs that I hadn't seen for one reason or another, the process was far more complicated than it had to be. Helped Jimmy figure out a problem he was having with the Prototype, and between our two versions, we should be able to move forward with the project as soon as all of the parts have arrived. As far as I know, we are only really waiting for the suitcase itself to come in. After lunch, Jimmy, David, Abraham, and I went to visit Adam in his lab. He showed us the php script he had been working on to generate random math questions. I answered the question and broke the program within 5 seconds of touching it. After we left, he discovered that he had been using an old version of the script, so it worked again. For the afternoon, we worked on making some small tweaks to the Prototype, as well as trying to come up with an actual name for it. The best results were either the Educational Solar Projection Navigator (ESPN), or the Solar Universal Navigator (SUN). I also made a new KMZ file of another wavelength to be used with the DSE.
Thursday, July 10, 2014
Wednesday, July 9, 2014
Spent most of the day trying to get the prototype to load pictures correctly, and recognize when the website returns a 404 error. Jimmy and I spent most of the afternoon trying to make sense of the six digit time codes which seemingly have nothing to do with the actual time the satellite took the picture, since the code requires the full url of the picture in order to retrieve it from the NASA site. Tried to tackle the code for a while, and then looked up facts about the sun for the DSE.
Tuesday, July 8, 2014
Monday, July 7, 2014
Today was a good first day. Despite the rain during the scavenger hunt, and not winning the overall competition, Team Walrus still won paper plate awards for Shortest Film, and Most Random. I still maintain that the walruses were a necessary addition. After that, Jimmy and I headed down to the Insight Lab, where we got to see a few of the projects they've been working on, and that we'll be helping with. Finally, I wrote my bio for the lab's website, and then this blog.